Saturday, October 4, 2008

General Conference

This year General Conference* is a little different for me. I have been watching conference since I was young. I remember being 8 or so sitting in Kearns, Utah and watching conference in my PJ's. Normally I got to sit, listen, and take notes the whole time without disturbance...well maybe there have been a bit of disturbances in the years past but nothing that compares to this year.

Conference with an infant is a whole new challenge that is for sure. I admire the women and men who diligently take their children to watch conference in the chapel*. I don't know how they do it. Lets just say that I am definitely going to love my November Ensign* so much more this year then ever before. While I was able to watch both sessions today, I wasn't able to take notes and missed at least 2 to 3 talks from each session. The great thing is that the church archives all of conference on their website. I am so grateful for the modern technologies of the internet and video recordings. So while this post may seem like I am complaining, in all actuality I am just grateful for a Heavenly Father who finds ways for all of His children to partake of His counsel from His prophet and apostles.



*General Conference: A bi-annual world conference of the Church, held in April and October, where members gather for five two-hour sessions to listen to instruction from Church leaders. General conference is broadcast via satellite from the Conference Center at Church Headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah.
*Chapel: The room in a church building where the main worship service is held. Chapel is sometimes used to refer to the entire building.
*Ensign: A Church magazine, issued monthly, with religious instruction, Church news, and inspirational messages for Church members and for families.

2 comments:

jkmace said...

So true! the life of a mom! I love my ensign and can't wait to read it! Also love that you can re-watch the whole thing whenever you choose on the online also!!!Don't worry the little ones are more than worth it!

Renee and Jake said...

I agree. Thank goodness for coloring books. In the past, we have always went to the chapel for Sunday morning session to try to teach the kids but this year we watched it at home. Partly because our chapel does not have satellite and it would be hard for everyone to flock to the stake center,so we had friends over and watched it here. The girls actually paid much more attention. I usually require they listen to 2 talks and the prophet but they watched over an hour of the first session quietly and Will slept in his bed, which if we were at church, he would not have slept.