Saturday, January 24, 2009

Birthdays, why are they so important to women?

So last night as I was nursing Sariah to sleep and then again when I was driving home from working out, I came to a conculsion of why birthday's are so important to women. Well I should not say all women, I am one woman who can not speak for all women. There must be at least a few women who feel this way, so I am going to claim it for all women every where....and if they want to join in on what I think is a really good explanation then more power to them!
Anyway as I was driving home from working out, I looked at the clock and noticed that it was only a few hours until I would officially turn 31. I thought of what I was doing last year at this time and remembered how I was pregnant with my cute little Sariah. Then the thought went to her birthday and how I would never forget the events leading up to the time she was born. Seriously those moments are seared into my brain with vivid recollection of pain and joy all mixed into one emotion. Then I picked up the phone and called the one person who I knew would remember what time I was born and where they were at that exact moment...my mother. I thanked her for not giving up and going through the arduous process of labor and delivery to bring me into this world. I thanked her of for eating healthy and taking care of herself so that I could come into the world and be the person I am this day. Basically I just told her I loved her and was thinking of her on my birthday. We discussed how now there will not be a birthday go by that I don't remember how my kids came into my life and the emotions and pains that went along with getting them here. Each birthday that we celebrate will help me remember why I love them and why I am loved.
That is why this birthday and every birthday to follow will be important to me...someone had to go through the process of getting me here. It wasn't easy...seriously it wasn't easy! Each of us came into this world through a mother's womb...I know this will start to be debatable soon with things they are doing with test tubes and cloning and such...but for now we all have a birth mother who brought us into the world. I am so blessed to be able to have children and even more grateful to have a mother who took the time to bring me into this world. Births are miraculous adventures that begin at conception and never end, that is why they are so important to celebrate.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I couldn't agree with you more!! And Happy Birthday Tiana!! How fun for you!! And giving birth is always a memorable thing. It's just funny how we kind of seem to forget how much pain it really was...and still want more...I hope your day is glorious!!

CaraDee said...

Happy Happy Birthday Tiana Dear...
Happy Days will come to you all year.
If I had one wish, then it would be....
A Happy Happy Birthday to You from Me!

Renee and Jake said...

Well said